How this recipe came about:
I have an obsession with just throwing all types of colourful ingredients together and calling it a salad. On one cold December Sunday, I hosted a pot-luck with friends and wanted a fun fresh salad to brighten my guest’s moods…. and voila! This is what I came up with, my Colourful Chicken Salad, rich with loads of antioxidants, protein and healthy fats – now a huge party favorite!
Benefits of a few ingredients:
- Pomegranate – Punicalagins are extremely powerful antioxidants found in the juice and peel of a pomegranate – 3X the antioxidant activity of red wine and green tea!
- Brussels Sprout – High in Folate – a B vitamin that aids in the formation of the neural tube and can help prevent certain birth defects such as spina bifida and cleft palate during pregnancy
- Tarragon – Used as a Digestive Tonic because it aids in the production of bile by the liver (essential to the digestive process). Not only can it improve natural digestion, but it has also been found to relieve common digestive problems like an upset stomach, irritable bowels and dyspepsia.
- Coconut Smiles – Anti everything BAD! They are Antiviral, Antifungal, Antibacterial, and Antiparasitic!
*To get to the written recipe, scroll all the way down*
Click here for my Smokin’ Roasted Chickpea recipe
- 4 Medium Grilled or Stir-fried Chicken Breasts (1 per person)
- 1 Large Pomegranate - seeds removed
- 1 Cup of Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Head of Green Kale
- 1 Head of Purple Kale
- 1/2 Large Red Onion, sliced long
- 2 Green Onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut Smiles
- 1 cup of my Roasted Chickpeas (Click here for recipe)
- 1 Large Avocado, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon Grass-fed Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Tarragon, roughly chopped
- Dash of Himalayan Salt
- Dash of Black Pepper
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1. Cook chicken, slice in long stripes and allow to cool.
- 2. Make my Roasted Chick Pea recipe (Click here for recipe).
- 3. Wash, dry, and cut kale in bite size portions. Place in salad bowl and massage with olive oil and salt.
- 4. Wash Brussels Sprouts and cut into halves, stir-fry on butter for 3-4 minutes and let cool.
- 5. Slice onion into long thin pieces, salt all over (this is to ensure the taste is not too sharp).
- 6. Place all ingredients in neat sections inside bowl, this allows all the colours to present beautifully.
- 1. Place lemon, dijon, honey, lemon zest, garlic, pepper, and salt into your blender.
- 2. Slowly turn to high speed and blend for 30 seconds.
- 3. Slowly add oils in a thin stream until emulsified.
- 4. Reduce speed to medium and add thyme.
- 5. Blend for an additional 30 seconds.
I’m Elle! A Toronto-based Holistic Nutritionist. I’m a multi-passionate woman, but nutrition and understanding how the body works is really my passion. Through my own personal journey, I have trained my body to heal itself using strategic, natural tools and techniques. Now I’m ready to help others!
As a new Mom, I understand that wellbeing is a journey. I hope my expertise will inspire other parents to choose nutrient-rich foods and the right products to create a happy, healthy and sustainable home. Click Here to Continue Reading