A friend of mine Aylth first introduced me to using chickpeas as the base for desserts and I have had so much fun creating new flavours and variations with them.
Although I’ll admit it, they aren’t the healthiest nut in the nut kingdom, I just absolutely LOVE the creaminess and texture that cashews have. For me personally, I feel like their taste can’t really be beat by any other nut. I am also a huge lover of chickpeas, and dark chocolate, so naturally this recipe is a combination of all things I love.
That being said, there are many substitutions that you can make. You can replace the cashew butter with just about any nut butter you prefer and include any of your favorite additions. I absolutely love this recipe with dark chocolate but my love (Patrick) adores his raisins. So just have fun with it 😉
Benefits of the main ingredients:
- Chickpeas – make this recipe much more satiating than most flour dough’s used in typical cookie recipes, making it more difficult to overindulge
- Cashews – are super high in Cooper – a great antioxidant in the body which helps eliminate free radicals
- Dark Chocolate – is loaded with Magnesium
- Lower GI – The low GI of the nuts and chickpeas make the blood sugar spikes from the other ingredients more stable
- Fibre – All the ingredients combined contain a great deal of fibre which will help clean the sludge out of your pipes!
Although these are healthier than the average cookie, they can be highly addictive so to help with portion control, I like to freeze my cookie dough and make cookies on an as needed basis. This helps keeps them out of sight and mind when it is not time for cookies.
Here is my Chewy Chickpea Cookie recipe.
I typically like to soak all nuts and beans, however, since I am considering this one of my “quick n easy” recipes, I used canned and of course organic kind. Be sure to rinse VERY well.
ADD EXTRA GOODIES.
- 1 15oz can Organic Chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
- ½ cup Organic Cashew Butter (use any nut butter here)
- ¼ cup Cashew Milk
- ⅓ cup Coconut Sugar*
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- ¼ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 small, overripe Banana
- Dash sea salt
- ⅓ cup Dark chocolate chips or raisins
- ⅓ cup Cashews (chopped)
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor (or Vitamix), add all ingredients except chocolate chips and chopped cashews.
- Process until batter is smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped cashews, spread batter evenly in prepared pan with a buttered spatula.
- With wet hands, spoon batter onto cookie sheet.
- You can use your wet hands to pat them down into smooth cookies.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and edges are very light brown.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- *You can also try sugar free version by removing this
I’m Elle! A Toronto-based Holistic Nutritionist. I’m a multi-passionate woman, but nutrition and understanding how the body works is really my passion. Through my own personal journey, I have trained my body to heal itself using strategic, natural tools and techniques. Now I’m ready to help others!
As a new Mom, I understand that wellbeing is a journey. I hope my expertise will inspire other parents to choose nutrient-rich foods and the right products to create a happy, healthy and sustainable home. Click Here to Continue Reading